Happy birthday to my sweet baby boy! What an amazing year it’s been! You hear it time an time again from seasoned parents, but it’s honestly crazy how fast these little guys grow up! One minute they are little bundles that squawk and coo, and then they’re sitting up on their own, and suddenly they’re crawling so fast that you loose track of them!
In honor of my little man’s birthday, I figured I’d share a few of his favorite things and finish telling his birth story (in a separate post though).
- Movement: While not walking, that is a fast crawler and everyone is telling me that he’ll be walking any day now (I’m not encouraging it by any means though). He’s just starting to cruise, but he realizes he’s much faster on his knees. He’s mastered the “pegged-leg crawl,” as I like to call it
- Food: Thad loves the savory and shuns the sweet. He’ll gobble up his veggies (so long as they are flavorful and cooked with veggie stock and garlic… seriously), has started eating noodles and is fond of mac n’ cheese, and still loves his hummus and avocado. He’s not a fan of regular “baby food” — the snacks sold at the store — and loathes apple sauce (?!?!?) and apples. I have to coax him to eat fruit, but he’ll do it if I do it too.
- Sharing: The dogs and Thad are learning to share at the same time. Darby has never had to share much with Jupi, but he’s learning that Thad wants to play too and that he sometimes needs to share his toys. In turn, Thad is learning that he can’t get what he wants when he wants it and that he needs to share with Darby. Who knew having dogs would be so helpful with raising the first born?? Additionally, just yesterday Thad started sharing his food with me… as in he took a bite and then gave me his food for me to take a bite. It was precious (but I hope he doesn’t think I want to eat his sloppy seconds all the time!)
- Sleep: Little dude has always been a great sleeper and he’s still sleeping through the night and always needs a sucky blanket (any “lovie” with satin edges that he can suck on). He has never been a big paci kid, and apparently started using the blankets unbeknownst to us. What’s great is that he’s not overly fond of any particular one, he just needs one when he goes to bed. Though I don’t allow him to have them during the day.
- Speech: I think he knows mama and dada and we work on it every day. I think he’s starting to generalize with males and females with it as well, so that’s great! He loves singing as well and digs the tunes whenever we can get our Sonos working.
- Potty time: He prefers to take care of his dirty business on the toilet and will let you know if he’s done it in his diaper. He dislikes it in his diaper so much that he wakes up from his nap to let you know it’s time to get changed.
- Everything else: He loves to read! After he tears apart his room, he ends up sitting there quietly flipping through his books. They might be upside down and backwards, but he’ll sit there looking at the pictures and pointing at the pages like he’s reading. It’s precious.
And now for a ton of pictures of the little man!
2 weeks old….
Passed out with Dad
Ear Surgery at 3 months
Play date with best friend
Waiting for Yuki Sushi with Dad
Meeting Granddad McKinney for the first time. Mother’s Day 2012.
Making a mess…
Learning to crawl. 9 months old.
Making another mess…
10 months old. Hanging with Dad in Essex, CT.
Mom’s favorite picture!